In this unit we will:
- Examine the structure-function relationship of the four macromolecules important for living organisms (lipids, carbohydrates, proteins, and nucleic acids).
- Summarize the structure and function of organelles in eukaryotic cells.
- Analyze ways that these organelles interact to perform the function of the cell.
- Compare prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells in terms of structure and complexity.
- Explain how instructions in DNA lead to differentiation and specialized cells.
- Explain how homeostasis is maintained in cells and in organisms.
- Analyze the specialized structures of unicellular organisms.
Connection to Evolution:
- The origins of life: What does chemistry tell us about the earliest matter on Earth (Miller and Urey Experiment)?
- How did multicellular organisms evolve from simple prokaryotes (the endosymbiotic theory)?
- Behavioral and structural adaptations of single-celled organisms: How have unicellular organisms evolved to survive?
Unit 2: Slides, Study Guides, Anchor Activities
Unit 2: Links to learn about Organelles
Unit 2: Useful Links and Documents
Khan Academy Videos
Other useful links
Unit 2: Assignments, Activities, Labs